About this course
Investigation of magnetic materials is one of the most important areas of modern physics, especially those areas of physics that are associated with the creation and prediction of the properties of new materials (including materials for nanotechnology). Magnetorheological materials are materials, which rheological (related to the processes of deformation and fluidity) properties can quickly and reversibly change when an external magnetic field is applied (viscosity, elasticity, plasticity extremely change in magnetic field). They belong to the so-called class of "smart" materials that react to changes in the environment and it physical or chemical properties. Within the course students should learn how to find out the main characteristics of magnetorheological materials, the technology of their production and research methods, the mechanisms of their properties formation, and the physical principles of the preparation of such materials.
During the course will be considered the next topics:
- Magnetorheological materials: types and applications
- Magnetic particles. Superparamagnetic particles. Magnetic properties of elastomers with low concentration. Langevin function.
- Elastomers. Mechanical properties. Piezoresistance and magnetoresistance. Magnetodielectric effect.
- Multiferroic properties of rheological materials.
Dr. Liudmila Makarova, Assistant Professor, Magnetism Department, Physical Faculty, Lomonosov Moscow State University
As a result of studying the discipline, students should:
• Have learned the materials concept of magnetorheological materials
• Have learned the materials concept of composite multiferroics based on magnetorheological elastomers
• understand the dynamics multiferroic structures
• understand the concepts to design and develop new composites and multiferroics based on rheological media and ferromagnetic, ferroelectric components
• know how to tune specific properties of multiferroics and magnetorheological elastomers, fluids and foams for specific application
• be able to describe phenomena related to the correlation of electric and magnetic polarization in composite multiferroics different types
• be able to develop new materials showing multifunctional properties based on magnetic activation
• be able to judge which devices for technology could benefit from multiferoics and magnetorheological materials
As a result of studying the course, the student has the following skills:
• Knowledge about the technology of devices based on multiferroics and magnetorheological materials
• Knowledge about its applications like smart sensors and actuators
• Knowledge of modern applications of nanosystems of these materials
Ability for self-organization and self-education.
Ability for time management and to plan team work.
Ability to use the acquired knowledge for further exploration and development of scientific challenges.
Ability to solve standard tasks of professional activity on the basis of information and bibliographic culture using information and communication technologies and taking into account the basic safety requirements.
The ability to find, analyze, implement and use in practice experimental and theoretical tools to analyze problems of using and experimenting with materials consisting of multiferroics and magnetorheological materials including the use of modern technologies and awareness of environmental and safety regulation and hazards.
Трудоемкость дисциплины составляет 2 ЗЕТ (72 часа)
Who is this course for
Functional nanomaterials and advanced technologies, 03.04.02
The course is designed for 1 year masters. Knowledge of physics and mathematics is required in the amount of Bachelor degree of physical or material science specialties. It is recommended to attend the course “Multiferroic and smart materials – 1” first.