Fundamentals of General Chemistry
About the course
Methodological system of the course “Fundamentals of General Chemistry” focuses on effective assimilation of knowledge and development of students’ skills in reading, interpretation and solution of tasks in chemistry in English. The course includes an advanced study of selected topics of General chemistry in English: thermochemistry, chemical equilibrium, and chemical kinetics.
The results of studying the course will be:
1. Mastering of scientific terminology and theoretical bases in accordance with the basic theoretical blocks, including thermochemistry, chemical equilibrium, and chemical kinetics.
2. Skills of solving tests and exercises in chemistry in English in accordance with advanced programs.
3. Skills in solving chemical problems and providing a written solution in English.4. Skills of self-study of educational, scientific, reference literature in English, and effective orientation in specialized Internet chemical sites.
- explain that some chemical reactions and biochemical processes are accompanied by energy change, mainly in the form of heat energy;
- construct and interpret a reaction pathway diagram in terms of the reaction enthalpy change;
- explain and use the terms standard heat of formation, standard heat of combustion, bond enthalpy;
- apply Hess`s Law to construct simple energy cycles and carry out calculations involving such cycles;- show understanding of chemical reactions in terms of energy transfers associated with the chemical bonds breaking or formation.